SEANET. The South East Asia Network for Development (SEANET) is a new regional center based in Kuala Lumpur, focused on three major advocacies — free mobility of people, free mobility of goods, and inclusive growth, in the region.
This blog will tackle issues on trade and investment in the region from a limited government and free market perspective. The role of government is to lay down fair and transparent rules that apply to all players, enforce these rules fairly and equally and penalize the violators. It is not government role to choose winners by setting rules that favor certain players, local or foreign, to the detriment of other players.
Bienvenido “Nonoy” Oplas, Jr.
Founder and President, Minimal Government Thinkers, Inc., a free market think tank in Manila.
Fellow, South East Asia Network for Development (SEANET), a Kuala Lumpur-based regional center that advocates free trade, free mobility of people, and inclusive growth in the region.
Wrote two books, Health Choices and Responsibilities (2011) published by Central Books Supply (Quezon City), and Liberalism, Rule of Law and Civil Society (2014), published by the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FNF) Philippine Office.
Chapter Contributor of two books, Free Trade and Markets for Healthcare: Lessons from Asia (2013) published in New Delhi, India; and Why Liberty (2010) published in the US.
Graduated from Cadiz City High School, Negros Occidental.
Graduated AB Economics from the University of the Philippines, School of Economics (UPSE) in 1985, Diploma in Development Economics (DipDE) in 1998.
In November 2013, he was among the 13 government and civil society leaders who were granted the Freedom Flame Awards 2013 by the FNF-Philippine Office.
Aside from MGT and SEANET, he is also a member of the following professional and civil society organizations: Philippine Economic Society (PES), UPSE Alumni Association (UPSEAA), Rotary Club of Taguig Fort Bonifacio (Past President, RY 2006-2007) RI District 3830, and the Economic Freedom Network (EFN) Asia.
Columnist for the following papers:
- thelobbyist.biz, Less Government column, 2013 to August 2014
- interaksyon.com, Fat Free Economics column, March 2012 to end-2014
- BusinessWorld, Weekender, late April to August 2015
- BusinessWorld, My Cup of Liberty column, October 2015 to present
- Business 360, a monthly business magazine in Kathmandu, Nepal; “Free Market” column, Nov. 2012 to present.
Owner of these blogs:
- Government and Taxes, http://funwithgovernment.blogspot.com/
- Electricity in Asia, https://electricityasia.wordpress.com/
- Trade in Asia, https://seanet2.wordpress.com/
- Intellectual Property in Asia, https://ipinasia.wordpress.com/
- Economic Freedom Network (EFN) Asia conferences, https://efnasia2.wordpress.com/
- Travel and tourism, http://travelpinoy.blogspot.com/
- Forest farming and terraces building, http://sustaindevelopment.blogspot.com/
- Rotary notes in D3830, http://rotarianpinoy.blogspot.com/.